The Best Dog Food For Boxers: The Most Important Things You Should Know
Boxer breed owners often trouble themselves with the question; am I feeding my dog the best dog food for boxers?
All dog breeds are different, therefore; their differing nutritional needs should be addressed. Here are some key points to remember and questions you might have when choosing the right food for your boxer.
**Below, you'll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
The Most Important Things You Should Know
What Is The Difference Between Certain Types Of Dog Food?
A Few different kinds of dog food include dry, canned, and raw. Here is a description of what they are how they are different.
Canned Dog Food
This type of dog food is also called “wet” dog food. It can be found in most places that sell dog food and comes in a variety of brands and flavors. You can discern what kind of dog food you are getting by looking at the title.
Canned foods that display "beef," "chicken," or other meat flavors generally have that kind of meat as their main ingredient. If the brand claims to have just one ingredient, the can must contain at least 95% of that ingredient.
Terms like "dinner," "platter," or "entrée" means that it may only contain 25% or so of the ingredient on the front of the can.
Dry Dog Food
This is the most common type of dog food and is generally the least expensive. You can find a vast variety of brands and sizes in this dog food category. This type of dog food has no added water and does not spoil quickly like canned food.
This type of dog food usually has more ingredients than canned food. (We’ll go over what to look for in the ingredients section later) It may be better to choose this type of food for larger breeds so storage won’t be a problem.
Raw Dog Food
This type of dog food is my personal favorite. When pet owners refer to a “raw” diet for their dogs, this means that the food is homemade. What ingredients go into the food depends solely on the owner’s preference.
For more information on making your own dog food, follow the link.
How Do I Read The Ingredients?
You may find yourself overwhelmed when looking at the back of a dog food bag. There can be so many ingredients and nutritional terms you may not understand. Here is a break-down of this information so you can better choose a food for your boxer.
Some dog food brands name one or many different kinds of meat on their ingredient list. These include chicken, beef, pork, and different kinds of fish. If this is a canned food, most of the weight of the meat can be attributed to water.
This is an ideal ingredient to look for when choosing food for your boxer. Boxers are a large breed that requires a lot of protein. The best way for them to get that protein is with real meat.
“Meals’ are a term that refers mostly to animal by-products. By-products are parts of the animal not usually eaten by humans. Bones, heart, liver, skin, and other parts of animals go into these meals.
While this is not exactly unhealthy for your boxer, real meat is preferable to meals. Real meat tends to be fresher and less processed. It also contains more raw protein that your boxer needs to be healthy and keep a shiny coat.
Corn, soy, and wheat are ingredients most dog-lovers try to avoid. These items are used in dog food often because they are filling, taste good, and are cheap to produce.
You should avoid these ingredients especially if they are the main ingredient on your dog food list. Your boxer needs REAL food to thrive not corn which has basically no nutritional value.
It is little known that dogs can be omnivorous though they are more carnivorous in nature. Your boxer needs healthy carbohydrates to give them energy just like humans do.
Vegetables like carrots, green beans, and peas are delicious to dogs and provide the healthy carbs they need.
Preservatives are important to ensure that your boxer’s food stays fresh and does not spoil quickly. Though this ingredient is necessary, an excess of preservatives can be very unhealthy for your boxer.
Some preservatives come in a natural form and some can even be beneficial to your boxer’s health. A few good preservatives to look for are Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid), Mixed Tocopherols (vitamin E), cloves, and rosemary.
A Few preservatives to avoid are; Ethoxyquin, Propylene Glycol (an ingredient in antifreeze!), Butylated hydroxyanisole and Butylated hydroxytoluene (can cause cancer), Tertiary Butylhydroquinone (a form of butane), and Sodium Metabisulphite (a bleaching agent).
Here is a helpful video about dog food ingredients.
Top 5 Dog Food For Boxers
Wellness brand dog food is another organic option for your boxer. The pros and cons of this canned dog food are:
- Comes in a variety. There are several variations of this canned food to meet the needs of your boxer.These options include; turkey & chicken, whitefish, herring, & salmon, beef, venison & lamb, turkey, duck, & pork, puppy, and weight management.
- Quality ingredients. Wellness dog food brand uses only real meat and abstains from any use of grains in their food. This reduces the risk of allergies and ensures the overall health of your boxer.
- Good for sensitive stomachs. Reviewers of this product say that this product has helped keep their dog's bowel movements regular and comfortable.
- Passes the taste test. The natural meat ingredients increase the possibility of your dog loving the taste. Dogs are more likely to reject foods that use fillers and other harmful ingredients.
- Grain fed chicken. Though the dog food itself is grain free, the chickens used in the cans are grain fed. This is believed to be a possible cause of allergies in food allergy prone dogs.
This is a great canned dog food brand because of their dedication to bringing real meat to your dog’s food bowl. That being said, all dog food have their ups and downs.
- Meat is the main ingredient. This brand of dog food uses only real chicken in their cans. This is extremely preferable to dog food that uses by-products and meals.
- It is inexpensive. Considering that it is made with only real meat, this dog food is pretty cheap. I like to find a balance between cost and quality when looking for food for my dogs.
- It’s tasty. Evangers Organics use broth to moisten their dog food. This along with the natural chicken makes it a yummy choice for your boxer.
- Only three ingredients in the whole can! This is an especially difficult quality to find in any dog food. There are usually a ton of ingredients on the list. With this food, you don't have to wonder what your dog is eating.
- Can cause runny stools. This food does come in the form of a pate which means it is completely smooth with no chunks. Some dog owners have complained of loose stools and mild stomach upset associated with Evangers Organics.
One solution to this problem is to mix the can half and half with dry dog food.
This is another breed specific dog food product. These are great choices because they are formulated with your boxer in mind.
- Meat is the main ingredient. This is a desirable quality of any premium dog food. Nothing is more nutritious for your boxer than meat. Boxers need the high-quality fat and protein that only real meat can provide.
- Good for sensitive tummies. More than one reviewer found success with this product when others made their boxer sick. If your boxer has stomach troubles, you may want to try this product.
- Preserved with mixed tocopherols. This is one of the good preservatives I mentioned in the ingredients section. Using this ingredient is a plus because it does not cause cancer and allergic reactions like many other preservatives.
- Tastes good. Dogs seem to love this brand when it comes to taste. This would be a good brand to consider if your boxer is a picky eater.
- Contains corn fillers. Corn is one of the most common fillers in dog food. It’s cheap and easily bulks up the food. You have to watch out for this filling tactic in most dog food brands.
- Rising price. This dog food seems to consistently go up in price. This may be due to high demand and popularity. For whatever the reason, high priced dog food may not be practical for everyone looking for good food options for their boxer.
Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Boxer Adult Dry Dog Food is a premium, breed specific, dog food option. Here are the pros and cons of this product.
- Specifically formulated for boxers. This unique brand of dog food is made to give your boxer the best chance at optimum health. This dog food is made for boxers fifteen months and older.
- Promotes cardiac health. Boxers are prone to heart problems as they age. Royal Canin supplements their boxer dog food with DHA and EPA to help support cardiac function.
- Enhances muscle definition. Muscle definition is a much sought after trait in boxers. Royal Canin boxer adult dry food is high in protein and vitamins which help build muscles naturally.
- Comes in large bags. Boxers are naturally on the larger side so it’s better to have a bigger bag of dog food to avoid constant buying.
- It’s a little expensive. This brand of dog food is definitely more expensive than other common dog foods. Often times when buying food for your boxer, you get what you pay for.
- By-products and fillers. This dog food does have many great ingredients but it also has some not so great ones. Meat by-product does not have the same nutritional value as regular meat.
This product also has filler ingredients like wheat gluten. This item is not nutritionally beneficial and is generally used to bulk up dog food and make it filling.
Pedigree is one of the better known dog food brands on the market. It has gained its popularity honestly as they consistently provide wholesome dog food options. Here are the pros and cons of this product.
- It’s cheap. This dog food brand tends to be on the cheaper side compared to other name brand dogs foods. This is a good option for those who don’t have an arm and a leg to spend on their boxer’s diet.
- It comes in large bags. You also get more bang for your buck with this dog food. You can buy bags as large as fifty pounds and still at a good price.
- Lots of vitamins and healthy fats. There are a few vegetable included in this dog foods ingredients. This is sometimes hard to find in other dog food brands. Pedigree food also contains omega 3 fatty acids which promote heart health and a shiny coat.
- Corn meal is the main ingredient. Though this dog food does provide many wholesome ingredients, having corn as the main item is quite a drawback. No dog needs corn in their diet, even humans should limit their corn intake.
- Can stir up allergies. Some dog owners have complained about their pet being allergic to this particular dog food. If your boxer is already prone to food allergies, you may want to select a different brand.
In my opinion, Wellness CORE Grain Free Canned Dog food is the winner of this product roundup. It has all the essentials needed for the health of your boxer without some of the negative from other products.
You don’t have to worry about unnecessary fillers and it comes in a variety of flavors and even has a can for your puppy. When looking at the ingredients you see that only real meat is used.
Real meat is the best thing you can offer to your boxer. Avoiding fillers and by-products can be difficult considering you find them in most dog food brands. Good luck on your search for nutritious food for your boxer.