The Best Dog Food For Pitbulls: The Most Important Things You Should Know
What is the best dog food for Pitbulls? This is not a black and white question. The nutritional needs of one dog may not be the same as another. It is important to weigh your options as well as the personal needs of your pit bull.
Below is helpful information I use when choosing the right food for my pit bull.
**Below, you'll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
The Most Important Things You Shoul Know
Look at the Ingredients
The obvious thing to look for when choosing food for your pit bull is the ingredients. When you look at the back of the bag, there is usually a huge list of things making up the dog food.
The only problem is that most of us do not even know what we’re looking at when reading the ingredients. There are lots of chemical names as well as nutritional terms that we may not be familiar with.
One thing is for sure; pit bulls love the taste of meat and need protein to remain healthy and happy. Dogs need carbs but it is recommended that you find a dog food that is low on this ingredient.
Just like a human diet, there are good and bad proteins as well as good and bad carbs. It is important to weed out the good nutrition from the fillers.
Examples of good protein in dog-food are:
Some of the more expensive or “premium” dog foods will actually have certain kinds of meat listed in their ingredients.
Salmon, tuna, beef, chicken, and pork are all examples of meat you may find when checking dog food ingredients
While some dog food brands choose fresh meat products, many choose various types of “meals.” Most of these protein meals are made up of animal products that are not used for human consumption.
These ground meals are called by-products and usually consist of ingredients such as the heart, liver, feet, and bone.
It is little known that dogs are omnivorous (though they lean more towards the carnivorous side). There are many vegetables such as carrots and beans that provide protein as well as many essential vitamins.
Many dog food brands use grain fillers to make up most of the protein in their food. These are classified by many experts as “bad-proteins”. Examples of bad proteins are.
Corn tastes good and keeps you full but it does not have much nutritional value. It is also cheap. This is why it is such a popular main ingredient in many dog foods.
While this is an excellent source of protein, it is like corn in the way that it is not nutritionally significant. It can also be harder for your pit bull to digest.
This ingredient should not be a deal breaker when choosing dog food, but it should not be one of the main ingredients.
Just like us, pit bulls need carbohydrates to maintain energy and health. Pit bulls are known to be very energetic so they really need these carbs to keep them going. Here are a few examples of the carbohydrate you should be looking for in dog-food.
The Carbohydrate in Dog-Food
This ingredient is very high in good carbs and is easily digested. Many lower quality dog-food brands forgo this ingredient as it can be more expensive to use.
Oats are also an excellent source of carbohydrates. Pit bulls can be more susceptible to food allergies and oats can be an easy remedy.
Veggies don’t just provide protein in dog food. They also provide natural carbs to keep pits bulls full of energy and promote a shiny, healthy coat.
You should also keep a look out for vitamins in your dog food. Vitamin A, B, D, and K are especially important.
Vitamin names you may see on the back of the dog food bag are; biotin, riboflavin, phosphorus, pyridoxine, beta-carotene, and thiamin. More information about dog-food ingredients can be found here.
Raw Diet Dog Food
A raw diet is when you cook food from home for your dog. This way, you know EXACTLY what your dog is getting and how fresh it is. You can also get a good sense of your pit bulls taste preference.
If your pit bull has allergic reactions to dog-food, a raw diet may fix that or at least pinpoint the source of the allergy. Here is the recipe I use for my fur-babies.
Raw beef with a high fat content
Hard boiled eggs (shells included which provides calcium)
I just cook these ingredients separately and mix them. This method is quick, easy, and cost-effective. Here is a YouTube video on a more complex version of homemade dog food.
Top 5 Dog Food For PitBulls
This is a unique type of dog food because it is freeze-dried. All you have to do to prepare it is add water. TruDog understands that just like humans, dogs require a great diet in order to be healthy. Here are the pros and cons of this product.
- It’s Organic. Trudog Real Meat Organic Dog Food uses only chemical-free organic ingredients. This also makes the food hypoallergenic which is a big plus since pit bulls are prone to food allergies.
- Good Protein Ingredients. As I said before, pit bulls need a lot of protein to stay strong and promote a healthy coat. This dog food uses real quality ingredients such as; ground turkey and bones, turkey heart, and turkey liver.
- No Fillers. This may be the best thing about this dog food. Their main ingredient is always meat so you don’t have to worry about your dog getting full off of empty calories.
- Expensive. If money's no object when it comes to your dog’s food, then this is not a problem for you. When it comes to most people, it is not practical to spend large amounts of cash on dog food.
- Not a Great Source of Vitamins. While this dog food will be healthy for your pit bull. It does not contain any vegetables or healthy grains. Dogs can live off meat alone and do just fine but, it is better to have a variety of nutritional aspects in your dog’s food.
This dog food is limited to only six ingredients. This is great because you don’t have to worry about researching a thousand things to see what your dog is eating. Like any product, there are pros and cons. Here are some of the ups and downs of this product.
- Meat is the Main Ingredient. This dog food uses lamb meat as their number one ingredient. Lamb meat is high in good fat and protein and promotes a healthy coat. There are no meat by-products in this dog food, only high quality meat.
- It’s Cost Effective. Just 6 dog food is a nonexpensive option for those seeking premium food for their pit bull. It usually runs about 30 dollars for a 28lb bag.
- Contains a lot of Salt. Salty dog food is certainly enjoyable to your dog. While they like the taste, it can be somewhat unhealthy for them. This is especially true for older dogs.
- Preservatives. Just 6 dog food has several preservatives to prevent spoiling. While this method of preservation will make the food stay “fresh” longer, these ingredients can be potentially unhealthy for your pit bull.
This premium dog food is best for working or sport dogs because of its high fat and protein content. It can also useful for pit bulls because of their typical high energy. The pros and cons of this product are:
- Contains Calcium. This is one of the few dog food brands to include calcium. I like this attribute because dogs bone become brittle with age just like humans. Adding calcium into your pit bulls diet ensures strong bones and overall health.
- Promotes Dental Health. Their advertised 3D DentaDefense system is proven to prevent tartar buildup.
- It’s Tasty. According to recent product reviews, many dogs enjoy the taste of this particular dog food. After all, what’s the point of a healthy dog food if your dog doesn’t enjoy it?
- It's High Calorie. If your pit bull is super active, this is not a problem. If your dog is on the lazier side, this dog food brand may cause him to become overweight.
- It Can be on the Dry Side. Some users of this product have complained about the food being too dry or having to add broth to their dog’s food bowl. This can be a problem because it can be harder to chew and digest.
This can cause some dogs (especially smaller ones) to throw up if they are fast eaters.
This nutritional supplement is designed for pet owners who prefer to make their own dog food. This supplement can be very simple and easy to use.
- It’s Easy. All you have to do to use this supplement is add it to raw meat and water. You can use any kind of meat that you are your pit bull prefers.
- Complete Nutrition Formula. The Better in the Raw supplement provides many different vitamins and minerals that dogs need to stay healthy. The meat you choose provides the fat and protein.
- Grain Free. This product is just straight nutrition with no fillers. This is what is most important to most pet owners who make their own dog food. I prefer a strictly nutritional diet for my dogs as well.
- It’s a Little Pricey. Buying the meat alone to feed your dog can be a financial drain. Having to add this supplement just makes this worse. I prefer to add real food ingredients to my own dog food.
- It Comes in Small Bags. Obviously you have to feed your dog every day. You will probably blow through this supplement bag fairly quickly and end up having to buy another shortly after your original purchase.
This product is sold in meager 4.8 ounce and 12 ounce bags. Because of this, you might not get much bang for your buck.
I think this supplement is great because it is specifically geared towards pit bulls and other bull breeds. This product has its ups and downs as well. Here are a few examples.
- All Natural. This product relies solely on all natural ingredients. This means that it contains so salt, sugar, or artificial flavors. There is not much point in buying a dog food supplement if it’s riddled with unnecessary ingredients.
- Tastes Good. With most dogs, you can add this supplement to either food or water and they will take it without complaint. I find this to be the most convenient aspect of this product. I don’t like to worry about hiding supplements in my dog’s food just so they’ll eat them.
- Builds Muscle Definition. Muscle definition can be a highly desired trait among pit bull owners. This product is designed to help strengthen and tone muscles in a healthy and natural way.
- Can Cause Stomach Upset. With some dogs (especially those with a sensitive tummy) this product may cause upset stomach or frequent bowel movements. This is obviously undesirable as it can make your pit bull uncomfortable and make a mess in your home.
- Can Cause Aggression. Some users of this product have complained of mild to severe personality changes in their pit bull. Excess energy and aggression can be dangerous. Be sure to watch your dog when using this product to make sure there are no adverse effects.
In my personal opinion, Trudog Organic Dog Food is the best product when it comes to buying the best dog food for your pit bull. This product meets the nutritional needs of your dog without many of the negative aspects of the other products I reviewed. The main focus of any dog food is the ingredients and this product has all of the really important ones and they leave out the unnecessary fillers.