How To Choose The Best Bark Collar For Your Dog
Choosing the best bark collar can be difficult for your dog, especially if you’re new to dog training or breeding. It is considered humane or safe for your dog – to help him or her bark less. The sound of barking might scare off guests, so you need to control it.
96 /100 Score
94 /100 Score
90 /100 Score
86 /100 Score
80 /100 Score
** Below, you'll find more detailed review, but you can also click links above to see current prices and read customer's reviews on Amazon.
Why Does My Dog Need A Bark Collar?
While barking is a natural thing to do for dogs, different canines have various behaviors depending on how they grew up: some are more aggressive than others. Dog barking is something that you, as the pet owner, need to control, and this is why you may need a dog bark collar if you think that your dog is out of control.
What Types Of Bark Collars Are Available?
There are mainly three kinds of dog bark collars, all of which you should consult to your vet before using for your dog:
Ultrasonic Sound Collar
The ultrasonic sound collar is made to send out sounds or signals to stop him from barking. The ultrasonic waves are sent to your dog's throat, which is where he wears the collar, so that he'll cease from barking right away.
Electric Static Collar
This kind of collar for barking sends sound electrical signals instead of ultrasonic sounds. They are also known as shock collars, but they are usually very gentle and not too much that it will hurt your dog in the process.
Because dogs don't really like the citronella smell, they will immediately stop barking if you activate the citronella bark collar, as it will spray the scent to halt your dog from making any sound or movement for a while.
How Exactly Do Bark Collars Work?
Dog bark collars work by either a smell, feeling or a certain noise that stops your dog from barking, making it a safe and humane way to discipline your pet. Bark collars use a remote control to trigger that action. Below is a video showing how dog bark collars work.
Pros And Cos Of Using A Bark Collar
Pros of a bark collar
Why are bark collars beneficial? Here are the advantages:
- Trains your excessively barking dog
- A humane way of dog training
- Guests and family won’t get scared of the dog
- Correct other bad and stubborn dog behaviors
Negatives of using one
Most people argue that there are cons to using a bark collar, such as:
- Some people still find shock treatment as animal cruelty
- Ultrasonic and citronella might not work in all cases
How To Choose A Bark Collar
Here are what you should look for in a dog bark collar:
Adjustment of vibration and shock levels
This is applicable if you have a static bark collar or an ultrasonic one, because adjusting the vibration and the shock levels is important, depending on what your vet said, the so it won’t be so harsh for your dog in the process.
Transmitting distance or range
The typical range of a dog bark collar should be around 100 yards to something like 800 yards more or less. Having a bark collar that has a good range means that you can easily activate the triggering action even if you are far away from your dog.
Being weather resistant means that your dog bark collar can be activated even if it suddenly rains outside. A submersible collar is also great if you plan to take your dog out in the lake or by the pool.
Electrical safety (certifications)
Passing electrical standards and global certifications such as CE, ASTM, RoHS and UL are great for any bark collar because that ensures that the product is safe, tried and tested – it won’t hurt you or your dog at all.
Adjusting the strap for your dog is important as well, so he or she does not feel uncomfortable while wearing the collar all the time.
Battery life and charging method
Do consider a bark collar that is good for its battery life expectancy, depending on the kind of battery that is installed. Most dog bark collars are also easy to charge and may include a USB charger.
Ease of use
A bark collar that is easy to use is something that comes with complete user instructions and no fuss on the buttons and controls. Switching between the sensitivity levels should be a breeze with it.
Size of breed
Some dog bark collars may also be better for bigger breeds due to the shock and vibrations levels, whilst others are okay for medium to small breeds.
Number of dogs
A bark collar can also be used for 2 to 3 dogs simultaneously and not just one – which is pretty helpful if you have many dogs at home to discipline!
Best Bark Collars
96 /100 Score
94 /100 Score
90 /100 Score
86 /100 Score
80 /100 Score
With the SportDOG Brand SportHunter 825 Remote Trainer, you get a wide range of up to 880 yard or half a mile of coverage. It will fit small to medium sized dogs that are 8 pounds or bigger. The good thing about this bark collar is that it is also waterproof up to 25 feet using its DryTek technology.
The battery can last up to 70 hours on a single charge and can only be charged within 2 hours due to its quick lithium ion battery. As for the stimulation, you get 7 levels of customization that will be attuned to your dog’s needs. Because it is a multi-dog system, you can use the remote to train up to 3 dogs at the same time.
- Able to switch between tone, vibration and static stimulation so it’s not too harsh for your dog to take.
- It’s waterproof so you can enjoy swimming with your dog!
- The wide range allows you to control your dog even from a far-off distance.
- You can train up to 3 dogs at the same time!
- Can be a bit bulky to handle because the remote is slightly larger than other bark collar remotes.
For lighter dogs, you can count on the SportDOG No Bark Collar 10R SBC-10R to do the job. Because of the sensors being extra accurate, it won’t mistake any sudden movement as a bark so it will only correct your dog’s barking and nothing else. There are a total of 10 static presets for you to choose from.
As for the programming presets, you get up to 3 choices. The bark collar will fit most dogs from 5 to 22 inches of neck sizes.
- The bark collar can be plunged into the water up to 25 feet so it’s waterproof for any occasion whatsoever.
- Great for small to medium sized dogs.
- Accurate bark detection technology makes it reliable in correcting your dog’s barking habit.
- Battery lifespan is pretty good, at about 1 to 2 months per full charge.
- Not advisable for big dogs.
- Only one unit so it’s only for just one dog at a time.
The Dogtra YS300 Dog Collar is also a good choice for those who want a super accurate bark detection gadget that filters out background noise to detect your dog’s barking. The charging time is pretty quick at only 2 hours. The unique thing about this bark collar is that before the static trigger, it gives your dog a vibration warning.
This bark collar has a total of 7 levels of static to choose from. Because the receiver is only at 4 ounces of weight, it’s not going to be too intimidating for your dog to wear all the time.
- Accurate bark recognition that sets it apart from the background noise.
- Receiver isn’t too heavy or awkward for your dog to wear.
- Vibration warning before the static stimulation makes it a lot safer than just static shock collars.
- Battery is made with lithium polymer with a quick charge of only 2 hours.
- It’s good for small to medium sized dogs at around 10 pounds of weight.
- May not be that good for bigger dogs that are heavier.
- It only comes with an American standard plug so traveling with it can be a bit tricky and may require a converter/adapter.
For those who are new to bark collars, the PetTech Remote Controlled Dog Training Collar may be a good choice for you. It is great for correcting not just your dog’s barking, but also other bad habits such as aggression and obedience issues.
The LCD backlit screen makes it easier for you to adjust the settings of this dog collar. There are three modes that you can use here: static stimulation, audible warning tone and vibration, so that you can customize according to your dog’s needs of training and discipline.
- Battery life is made with lithium ion so it’s going to last longer than regular batteries due to the lack of the memory effect found in other batteries.
- You have a choice of vibration or shock so you can choose not to get aggressive with your dog, especially for simple positive training other than barking issues.
- It has up to 100 levels of customization and 4 training modes for your dog training needs.
- You get a lifetime replacement guarantee from the manufacturer. In fact, the warranty also covers if your dog chews on the collar or any of the parts.
- It is also waterproof so your dog can wear it through the rain or a pond.
- The sleep mode can be annoying because it turns the device off during inactivity even though you’re still using it. On the flip side, it’s a good battery conserver.
The MaKa Dog Barking Control Training Collar is a no-shock treatment for your dog's barking, which makes it humane. If you have breeds from small to medium size (e.g. schnauzers, labs and pugs) then it's a perfect fit. It’s an ultrasonic type, which uses vibration and noise to keep your dog from barking.
The stopping effect used in this ultrasonic bark collar is a beep that is followed by a vibration, with all the correction levels varying in length for either the sound or the vibration. The face plates are also removable and changeable with different colors for you to customize.
- Because it doesn't use shock therapy, it is totally safe and humane for your dog.
- The strap included for this bark collar is a nylon strap, which isn't very harmful for dogs in general, and is also adjustable.
- It has different noise and sound levels, which is great for training your dog without putting too much pressure on him.
- The solid construction that is made of sturdy plastic means that it will last for quite a long time.
- The unit already comes with batteries (6 volts each) so you will have less hassle trying to find batteries for it when the time comes.
- If your dog moves a lot, the battery may come loose due to the design of the bark collar.
- As with most ultrasonic bark collars, sudden movement can trigger the device even if your dog doesn’t bark.
Overall, we think that the SportDOG Brand SportHunter 825 Remote Trainer is the best bark collar among our list. Think about it: you can have the choice of static shock for really bad dog behavior, or you can just choose the subtle vibration mode, if you want a more humane way of disciplining your canine friend. It may be a bit bulky to handle, but hey, at least you can train up to 3 dogs at the same time!