How To Make Dogs Breath Smell Better?
You may share your life with some of these faithful and fun loving creatures who love bestowing kisses on you every now and then and you have no other choice but to give them a smooch back in return. So, it's important for you to keep their mouth healthy and halitosis-free. I understand it's hard work taking care of pets alongside your daily routine, so, let me tell you some simple ways - how to make dogs breath smell better.
For the tutorial given below you may need the following items: Toothbrush, Toothpaste (especially recommended for dogs), Beef marrow bones, Chlorophyll, Cloves, Cinnamon, Probiotics, Coconut oil, Neem oil, Dental wipes.
1. Brush Your Dog's Teeth
Having the 'dog breath' is not normal, it's a sign of an unhealthy mouth. Sick teeth and unhealthy gums lead to life-threatening ailments. Use a toothpaste recommended especially for dogs and brush their teeth at least once a week.
- Use a soft bristle toothbrush.
- Toothpaste - The pet store will have different flavors of toothpaste like chicken, liver and peanut butter which your pet will like.
- Apply enough amount of toothpaste and brush for at least 15 seconds on each side.
Your pup may not cooperate with you at first, that's because they are not used to it. Be careful not to hurt them. The video in the link given below will describe the brushing process for you:
2. Chew On Raw Bones
One source of bad breath is the building up of tartar in the teeth. Chewing on raw bones polishes your dog's pearly whites. Beef marrow bones will do the trick.
- Make sure the bones are soft and tender.
- Ask your butcher to cut them crosswise, cutting it lengthwise may be difficult for your dog to chew or it may choke him/her.
3. Chew On Dental Chew
Dispense a delicious dental chew alongside their meals. Anything containing some chlorophyll, cloves or cinnamon makes up for a good dental chew.
- This can be given during or after a meal.
- Mix it along with his/her meal or let him/her have it separately.
- Don't freak out if his/her poop is on the greener side-it's the chlorophyll doing its job!
- Raw source of chlorophyll is an excellent breath freshener.
4. Give Your Dog Probiotics
Speaking of the bad bacteria, make sure your dog's mouth is populated with the good bacteria too. In trying to get rid of all the bad stuff in the mouth we may be unaware that we are chasing the good bacteria away. That's where probiotics come in.
- Probiotics should be taken with meals or after your dog takes a big drink.
- Probiotics serve their purpose when mixed with a liquid.
- This is the best way to have probiotics. Mix it with water and serve between meals. (Helpful hint: Probiotics also help keep human breath fresh.)
5. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is a great medicine to combat canine bad breath.
- Boosts your dog's immune system and overall metabolic health.
- Add one teaspoon of coconut oil to your dog's daily diet and you will soon sniff sweeter breath. It can also be given separately.
- They are not going to fuss around because coconut oil is a sweet treat for them.
6. Neem Oil
A brilliant botanical to eradicate bad breath. A tropical tree of the Mahogany family, Neem is an excellent supplement for promoting oral health in hounds. The seeds of the neem tree contain anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and antifungal properties which help cure bad breath.
- The seeds are ground and the oil from them is extracted.
- This can be mixed along with the food in small proportions or directly given in small amounts.
- One capsule of neem extract twice weekly will also show results.
7. Dental Wipes (If Nothing Else Works Out)
If your friend is not comfortable with the toothbrush and paste, use dental wipes. These are already pre-moistened and you just have to wipe them against your pup's teeth.
- These wipes are in the form of tissues.
- They are wet and are moistened with certain anti-bacterial components.
- You just have to wipe them against your dog's teeth to remove the dirt and germs.
We hope this article helps you in keeping up your dog's oral health. If you are unable to follow even one remedy stated above and you feel it's time-consuming, just brush your pup's teeth once a week with tea tree oil. It's the best cure. Please do share your thoughts as comments so that we can help you better.